Welcome!


I have always enjoyed being crafty. I remember getting really excited about stickers and fun stationary when I was little. Well its good to know that some things in life never change!

I was introduced to scrapbooking in 2005 and have been hooked ever since. My love of crafting has branched out to include DIY, projects, gardening, baking, and canning. I hope to share my projects here.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Happy Birthday Garland

Hi all,

February is our celebration month. My two youngest daughter's birthdays are both in February so we have each actual birthday to celebrate, the kid parties, and then the family party. (Throw in our Anniversary as well as Valentine's Day and we got ourselves one BUSY month! LOL)

So I saw this technique on the Cricut blog, where Jana sewed here garland pieces together on the sewing machine. I thought that looked fun so I made a garland that says happy birthday.
Sorry the picture isn't that great, its hard to get something so long into one picture.
The cupcakes were all cut from Cupcake - Lite cartridge at 2 inches. That Lite cartridge only has the base and shift layer. It also has a font and shadow font.

First I took a piece of patterned paper from my stash that had a white background. I chose one that I wouldn't use for any other project and used that as my base to sew together. That way the back side of my garland is all white. I cut all my base pieces in that paper. I punched out 1/2 inch circles to put between the cupcakes. I numbered them in order so I wouldn't get it all mixed up. I then just fed them into the sewing machine in order. It was so easy.
Then I cut all my top pieces in recollections cardstock from Michaels. I embossed almost every piece and on a few of the cupcakes I trimmed pieces down to give more definition to the cuts.

Here are close-ups of all the cupcakes so you can see the individual embossing.




It was a fairly easy project to put together. Picking the color order for the cuts and layers was what took me the longest. I made a chart to make sure I wasn't repeating the same color combinations over and over again.

This garland will stay up pretty much most of the month. I really love making our own decorations. Its much more personal. Maybe I'll make little garlands with the girls names on them to match.

Thanks for visiting today.

Have a Great and Crafty Day!

Jan

1 comment: